Sunday, November 25

Thanksgiving

When I was 15, I knew we were poor. The knowledge came as a gift basket from our church. And then a Christmas tree that same year. I never felt poor before.  We didn't have the brand name things but that didn't make me feel poor. We ate, we had clothes, we had a house. No poor here. I played all sports and socialized. Poor still not being in my vocabulary.

Than one evening a knock came to our door and there stood my friends, church teachers and leaders, delivering a gift basket. Food, desserts, and the realization we were one of "those" families. The ones I'd gone out to help deliver to in the past this same time of year. With my friends and leaders. And then it happened again at Christmas. A tree, and Christmas carols, and smiles and awkwardness. We definitely were one of those families.

This year, our church gave to us bags and bags of food. And we have more food in the house than we've had in months. And instead of being humiliated, i was humbled. I couldn't appreciate the giving then because I didn't understand what my mom struggled with; not being able to work hard enough or fast enough and still fall short. I am humbled now and more grateful now and more importantly I understand Gods grace is forever working around me. There is no "poor" when Gods riches already speak for and provide for us.

Psalm 37:24 (NKJV)

"Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...